Saturday, November 07, 2020

Scrimshire X Omar




New single from Scrimshire feat Omar, off the forthcoming album Believers Vol 1 out Nov 13.

The final preview of new Scrimshire album Believers Vol. 1 features UK soul legend Omar alongside Mercury nominated Seed Ensemble collaborator XANA and Resonators front woman Faye Houston. The massive lineup deliver a deep piece of UK soul, with clear synth influences from classic 70s era Stevie Wonder and a powerful message about equality and unity. What initially seems like a mellow soul cut builds to an explosive crescendo of voices and rhythms.

“This song was an early part of making the album, and when I made it, I thought "Omar would sound amazing on this" and immediately put the madness to the back of my mind. But it turns out, it is possible to make mad things happen. It is 2020 after all.

To give it everything I could imagine, I also spoke with XANA who made a massive impact on me with Afronaut on the Mercury nominated SEED Ensemble album last year. And to truly sprinkle magic all over, I asked Faye Houston to be a part of the amazing energy amassed here.

‘Believers Vol.1’ represents warmth and hope. Everyone I worked with early in lockdown, seemed to want to express those longings for physical and emotional connection too. The whole album reaches out, I think it’s full of long embraces. But it is also, for me personally a love letter to black music and the black artists that shaped everything I care about sonically, from my very first memories of music until now. It draws from sounds I grew up around in the early to mid eighties, classic records from the seventies that I’ve never tired of, but important dance records from the late nineties and early 2000s that celebrated and subverted those ideas too.”

No comments: