Monday, May 21, 2012

Adrian Sherwood On-U mixtapes

Two great mixes of Adrian Sherwood's productions, first one is "the first half of a three hour mix by JD Twitch. This half "focuses on his more electronic wild side (Tackhead, Fats Comet, Keith LeBlanc etc.)" while the second half is dedicated to his dub work with the likes of Creation Rebel."





"... In my late teens and early 20s, Adrian Sherwood's work impacted on me more than anything I had previously heard and made me think about sonic possibilities in a completely new way. I would buy any record he had been involved with unheard and got into a lot of other artists purely because he had been involved with making their records. ... I hadn't listened to a lot of these records for many, many years and fell in love with them all over again while putting this together. It was a complete labour of love to do and a revelation to hear how fresh and wild this music still sounds."

There's a definite thread in New Zealand music that owes a ton to Adrian Sherwood and his On-U stable, from the likes of Pitch Black and Salmonella Dub, to Unitone Hifi and Fat Freddys Drop. Go check this out. Hat tip to Russ B for the links

No comments: