Monday, August 22, 2022

Preview the new Dub Asylum out on cassette/digital Aug 26




Dub Asylum, aka Peter McLennan (Hallelujah Picassos) strikes again with this limited edition cassette, compiling his mind-bending, foot-tapping "steel drum" reworks of Kiwi classics such as Mysterex, French Letter, How Bizarre and many more.

“There’s a corner of my record collection that’s dedicated to steel drums, specifically ones with cool cover versions. You haven’t lived til you’ve heard the Jackson 5’s ‘I want you back’ on steel drums, it’s just the most joyous sound.”

“The idea for this album came out of me wondering if there were any New Zealand songs covered on steel drums. I couldn’t find any, so I made my own.” Includes songs by OMC, Fat Freddy's Drop, The Clean, Toy Love, Bic Runga, Screaming Meemees and more. 

To celebrate the release, Dub Asylum and friends will be DJing some fave steel drum records instore at Flying Out Saturday 27 August, 2pm - 4pm.

Limited edition cassette. 30 copies only, comes with digital download.
Released by Loopy Fruit Recordings, 26 August 2022. Cat no: LFR015.

Preorder cassette from Flying Out (free shipping across NZ) 


Tracklisting:
A
1 How bizarre
2 French letter
3 Sway
4 Mysterex
5 Slice of heaven
6 Royals

B
1 See me go
2 Tally ho
3 Pull down the shades
4 Hope
5 How bizarre - bonus reggae rockers cut

No comments: