Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Top 10 fave second hand vinyl finds for 2020

This time of year I'm often scanning all those 'best of'' lists from various music sources, seeing what I heard and what I missed. I discovered Little Dragon dropped a new album back in March, that flew past me, but we were going into lockdown so, yeah...Anyways, here's an idea I borrowed from Mauri (thanks): my top 10 second hand scores for this year. (links go to youtube audio)

Coati Mundi - Me No Pop I 7"
Been after this for a while. There's a fun Bigga Bush remix of it too out there somewhere in digitaland.
 
Jackie Wilson And Count Basie - Funky Broadway 7"
Big, brassy take on this gem.
I own a ton of Chaka singles, a cool 5 CD box set of her first handful of albums (that retails for $20, grab it) but no LPs. Fixed that this year.
 
Dee Dee Warwick - Suspicious Minds 7" 
Great soul take on the Elvis classic. Found this at Dingbats (above Real Groovy) for three bucks.
 
Miltown Stowaways - Tension Melee LP 
Auckland outfit from early 1980s, best known for the song Strong and True, included this LP. There's some cool angular post-punk funk biz on here that's aged surprisingly well. A lot of NZ recordings of this era have aged horribly.

This was on a Northern soul DJ set I heard somewhere online this year, made a note of the name, and it turned up at the record fair last month for a dollar.
 
Manny Corchado ‎– Chicken And Booze 7"
I've had this tune on digital for a while and picked up this reissue at The Other Crate record fair off Geezer Guy, who also sold me a very cool Fulgeance remix of Doug Carn on 7, thanks! 
 
Ardijah - Way around U 12"
I didn't even know this existed til a few years ago, when Andy Morton told me about the remix he and Maunuel Bundy did for it. Also has two great remixes by Soane on it. Came out in 1999. Another record fair score.

Because you always need more War records. 
 
Celia Cruz Con La Sonora Matancera - La Dinamica! LP
The wonderfully lively sound of Celia Cruz. Totally worth a tenner.

No comments: