Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Albino interview, 2005

 Albino (nz rapper). Photo by Deap1

Albino: Submerged in Hip-Hop

Author: Andrew Hughes (photography by Deap 1) NZ Musician February/March 2005 (Vol: 12, No: 1

"When I step in the arena, ya'll are like "who the f*** is this here?"" spits Albino on A-L-B-I to the N-O, from his debut offering 'Submerged: Part One', being released on the proudly west Auckland-based 833 Records. The 'rebel' seemed calm coming up to the release of his debut when we met, to talk over a few cold beers.

I had judged him, by his music, to be somewhat aggressive and arrogant. But the 21 year-old prodigy of west Auckland, who was trained by freestyle veteran The Abbott, seemed mild-mannered and passive as we moved on to topics such as his style and his need for obscene language on the album.

To say the least, he is driven and committed to produce music, and has no intentions of smelling the roses, or racking up credit cards just yet. In fact, the leading figure of S.T.E.A.M (Styles To Excite Any Mutha F***a), is half way through recording his second album entitled 'Street Illegal', due to drop in July.

He is also in the process of shooting a video for the first single which will be directed by respected hip hop photographer Deap. Describing the feel, "It will be all the streets and main places of Tat-North". Of course meaning Te Atatu North, from which much of the inspiration for this album came. The evidence lies in tracks like Tat North to Massey which features his fellow crew members, Ryvalis and Dac Dastedly.

Collaborating with recognisable New Zealand producers such as Rahxx and the 'Primo-esque' Kinetic, Albino sets sail with tales of a wasted youth, sexual fantasies, alcohol abuse, and overall, slinging descriptions of how he will crush below-average MCs. The beats are mainly inspired by the G-funk sound yet become dark or quirky at times, while being laced with a deep husky voice describing the surroundings of his hometown.

His own credits on 'Submerged: Part One' are more than impressive, including his production of 11 from the 16 tracks. Albino admits that it wasn't a fancy affair, equipment-wise, when it came to making beats for the album.

"Playstation 2 man, that's all I needed", adding, "I want to use keyboards, an MPC and all that, but I don't have the means to get it".

It can be hard to write rhymes to one's own beat, the original concept can be lost and the original vision blurred, this is one negative trait that Albino has gained through the process of creating his debut.

"When I first started making beats, I could sit down and just write heaps of (content) to them, but now, I get fussy over writing to my own beats. I don't really write to my own beats anymore. I don't think any of 'Street Illegal' will be (my own production)".

'Submerged: Part One' was recorded in the first six months of 2004 at Playground Sound with the help of Roman Perry. Catering for recording, mixing and mastering duties, Perry even jacked up the good ol' Playstation to record each individual instrument from Albino's beats to add depth and effects.

But if Albino really likes to talk about anything, it is rhymes.

"It's just something I like to do, sit down with a pen and a pad and write stuff, basically got nothing else to do. Like when I'm sweet as (sober) I write good shit, but I find out when I get on the piss, like really get horsed, I wake up in the morning, drunk still, I can write even better shit. It's funny like that. That's what makes all these rhymes I'm recording right now, that hung-over buzz."

An area that most surprised me about his lyrical-technique is that he records all of his verses in one take. This is a dying art in the realm of hip hop music, and comes naturally to this MC.

"It sounds better to me. I don't like to punch... you can tell when people punch their lines, they overlap."

Although punching takes skill in itself, many MCs admire the likes of Jay-Z for their ability to be so accurate and clear on a one take verse.

"I don't really care about awards or money or anything like that... there's no real money (in this) anyway."

When asked about what he has learnt from the recording of his debut he replies: "I learnt how to rap to the beat better, construct a song better, more vocab now too. It's easier to record now. When I first started to record in a proper studio, it was hard on the lungs, breathing and shit, but now it's a piece of piss."

No comments: