Saturday, October 12, 2013

Northern soul doco



Featured tracks are:
Sandi Sheldon - You're Gonna Make Me Love You
Earl Jackson - Soul Self Satisfaction
The Exciters - Blowing Up My Mind
The Precisions - If This Is Love
Major Lance - The Beat
The Vel-Vets - I Got To Find Me Somebody
Edwin Starr - Time
Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons - The Night
Duke Browner - Crying Over You
The Parliaments - I Wanna Testify
The Vibrations - Cause You're Mine
7th Avenue Aviators (AKA Frankie Karl & The Chevrons) - You Should O' Held On
Turley Richards - I Feel Alright
Mel Britt - She'll Come Running Back
Dobie Gray - Out On The Floor
The Salvadors - Stick By Me Baby
The Carstairs - It Really Hurts Me Girl
Jimmy Radcliffe - Long After Tonight Is All Over
Holly St James - That's Not Love
Gene Chandler - There Was A Time
Gloria Jones - Tainted Love
The Jades - I'm Where It's At
Tobi Legend - Time Will Pass You By

PLUS BBC's Paul Mason talks northern, from Jan 2012. "While following Paul Masons (BBC Newsnight) twitter feed, I noticed amongst all the "current affairs" type tweets one or two comments/connections that could be taken as northern soul related, which at the time made me look twice, but didnt really give it that much thought. 

After seeing last week that he had tweeted a youtube link of the Carstairs, this again stirred my interest and led to me replying to his tweet asking if he was up for passing on a quick word or two on his northern background (so to speak). 

Anyway Paul replied seemingly well up for it and within a few days he passed on the following set of words all about his northern background, which also included a photo of himself back at Ms, which is a lot more than I originally expected!"

No comments: