Monday, September 03, 2012

LCD shut up



I finally managed to catch the LCD Soundsystem concert doco Shut up and play the hits at the weekend. Very entertaining, well worth checking if you like the band. Final week screening at the Academy (Auckland) - in their tiny Encore Cinema, 6 rows of seats, 3 seats wide. Had the place to myself so I could sing along and no one complained. Sweet. One of my fave moments above...James Murphy pondering age... "I was 38 and I decided to make another album and then I blinked and I was 41..."

The clip below has Murphy talking about failure, and how he came up with the song Losing My Edge, after seeing a 22 year old kid DJing the same records he'd been making a name for playing. In the film Murphy says a lot of people told him they thought it was one of LCD's funny songs, but he was totally serious about it. That song was originally going to be the b-side on their 12-inch, and even his two partners in his label DFA didn't like it.

1 comment: