Monday, January 09, 2012

Raw African-American Gospel



The LA Times has a roundup of their top 10 reissues for 2011, one that caught my eye was this...

"This May Be My Last Time Singing: Raw African-American Gospel on 45 RPM 1957-1982": One word in the title says it all: raw. Three discs of small-label private press 45s issued by churches and compiled by writer, listener and publisher of Yeti magazine Mike McGonigal, "Last Time Singing" offers a bounty of inspiration of both the professional and amateur variety: microphone-distorting screams blanketed by swinging choirs singing along in the back corner of the room, as on the Gospel Keys' "I Never Heard a Man." This amazing music will make you believe in a holy power."

From Allaboutjazz.com... " McGonigal reasons in his well- crafted notes that This May Be My Last Time Singing "is not a clinical sampler; these are songs that I'm most obsessed with, that if you dropped by my house I'd say 'you have to hear this.'" That is youthful, naked excitement, like peeling the shrink-wrap off of Green River for the first time in 1969 or downloading Tha Carter IV in 2011. It is tantamount to a friend telling you they just ate the best barbecue in his or her life and you have got to try it."

Out on Tomkins Square Label.

No comments: