Saturday, May 28, 2011

RIP Gil Scott Heron

Posted to Twitter an hour ago by Jamie Byng, Publisher at Canongate Book:
: "Just heard the very sad news that my dear friend and one of the most inspiring people I've ever met, the great Gil Scott-Heron, died today.
He died around 4pm NY time at St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital. just had a teary chat with Aunt Mimi. so sad.
I wrote this piece last year for the guardian and it captures my love and respect for soul brother No.1"

ADDED Confirmed by New York Times: Gil Scott-Heron, Spoken-Word Musician, Dies at 62

ADDED Richard Russell of XL Recordings remembers his last phone conversation with Gil Scott Heron... "...He rang me on a Saturday, the day after my birthday, I answered his call whilst browsing in Foyles bookshop in London. We spoke for an hour. Conversation like this with Gil were a gift...."


No comments: