Wednesday, April 21, 2010

It's a rumble

Earlier today music journalist Hussein Moses (Real Groove, The Corner blog) posted this message on Twitter...

"Here's a screenshot of the one-lined email Dane Rumble sent me where he cusses me out and calls me a snake: http://bit.ly/bGljww

Seems that Dane took offence at Hussein's article on him for a recent Real Groove magazine article. You can read the article over at The Corner blog and judge for yourself.  

Hussein posted later in the day that "Dane Rumble just emailed me again, said my write-up was insulting and called me two-faced."

All in all, a very odd exchange. No one wins from it. 

________________________________________

I had funny exchange today was with Jeremy Redmore, singer for Midnight Youth.  

Late yesterday he posted "Oh man, knew there'd b a catch to C4's new channel. Does ANYONE make money in this industry? http://tinyurl.com/y5lg33e"

Someone suggested I send him Steve Albini's rant on the music industry, which I did... see below


"re "Does ANYONE make money in this industry?" read this, by Steve Albini http://www.mercenary.com/probwitmusby.html


Jeremy's reponse? "sounds about right! I get some free shoes now and again too...haha".

Smart kid.

2 comments:

Matt @ Kurb said...

Gosh, love what you done with the place Peter!

In the myspace days I used to get a lot of this from the emo crowd including one celebrity treasure island contestant that wont be named and it was so disappointing to see our local "stars" were not mature or professional enough to cope with the trade off that is celebrity, it's a shame because I think Dane Rumble makes some good quality melodic chart pop.

I didn't want to showboat on twitter, but I think I make a pretty good living in the music industry - not as a musician of course - but then i don't really maintain any significant stake in whats going on locally, which was never possible until now.

Point i'm making is while those in the traditional structure battle over the crumbs of the old empire, more will follow suit and break out finding success on their own terms, and soon there wont even be crumbs left in the cupboard for the old guard to make a backroom deal over.

Peter McLennan said...

Glad you like it Matt, splashed a bit of paint around....

The whole argument is a bad look for both sides in this situation. I don't know why Dane Rumble even cares about this article - hes not aspiring to be the Mint Chicks, he wants to have commercial success and he's done that. Good on him.

And I agree with you on the traditional structures falling away...

cheers for dropping by