Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Daptone gold mining
Great interview with Dapkings bassist and Daptone co-owner/producer Gabe Roth here at Pop Matters.

"... How do you get your bass sound so upfront?
It’s pretty simple. I just put the bass direct in, but I’ve got a good sounding bass. It’s an old Carvin 1970. It’s the only bass I’ve ever had. I bought it in a pawn shop for like 90 bucks..."

Also worth reading, Gabe Roth has written a lovely piece in memory of Willie Mitchell, including his story of meeting the man.  Read it at the Daptone site.

Snip... "As I began to bury him [Mitchell] in a flurry of mundane questions about how he had mic’ed drums, whether Syl Johnson had influenced Al Green or the other way round, how he had modified his mixing console, what had inspired his horn charts and what mic he used on them, he interrupted me.  He looked me in the eyes and told me, “The only thing you need to make a record are these… and this.”  He pointed to his ears and to his heart.  With that one sentence he taught me more about making records than I could have learned from any engineering or arranging school in the world. .."

And check out the latest release from Daptone Records, called Daptone Gold. It's a great introduction to the label with some of their most well known tunes, and some great rare gems in there too for the funk fiends. I bought a copy of it recently and I can guarantee you that it's all killer, no filler.

No comments: