Tuesday, August 11, 2009



All about pizza

I was having this random conversation via Twitter today with a fella from LA (Jon from LASnark) - he asked the question "Anyone know that LA pizza place that supposedly imports their water from NY to make authentic NY pizza?" I've heard many great things about NY pizza from places like Lombardi's, so, what is the deal?

So, bit of searching uncovered some stories which I fired his way, including this article from the LA Times on the best place to get NY style pizza in LA (turns out the importing water story is urban legend).

Then I found this link to an LA pizza place that import Massachusetts water, which led to this story about a recent blind taste test where three pizzas were made, one with LA water, one with Chicago water, and one with NYC water. All four of the tasters preferred the NYC pizza (read the comments there for more on the special qualities of NYC tap water, the special ingredient in NYC pizza).

So, that's great and all if you live in LA, but I'm in Auckland. So where is the best NY style pizza in our burg? Looks like I'm gonna have to check out Sal's Pizza in Commerce St. Ciaran, a former resident of Queens, NYC, has opened up Sals - he based it on his favourite local spot back home, also called Sals. You can read all about it over here, on Frank Liew's blog.

Excerpt: "10 years ago he approached his favourite local joint in his neighbourhood - Sal’s Pizzeria in Queens to talk about opening up shop outside of NYC

For one reason or another it didn’t happen back then, but over the years he kept the thought in the back of his mind - and last year when he was back home he went back to Sal’s with his idea, who ended up giving him their original recipe, the same recipes they’ve used for all their pies since they opened in 1975.

Funnily enough, they didn’t want anything for it, just to share good pizza with the world, so in return he named his own joint after them. Sal’s Pizza, Auckland New Zealand."

Ciaran added this to the comments on Franks blog', talking about how he got started with Sals... "Nick (my business partner who I met playing tennis in the south of France 15 years ago) came to visit NYC for New Years 08′ and has always loved the pizza in NY. After downing a couple large 18″ pizzas (on consecutive days:) he kept saying how good it would be to have pizza like that in Auckland. After that conversation, we did a bit of research and decided to go for it…"

Photo credit: Sal's Pizza from Frank Liew's blog.
ADDED: Sal's Pizza, 4a Commerce St. Auckland City, phone 09 379 7257. Open Mon-Sun, Midday until late

9 comments:

Thomas Beagle said...

New York style pizza in Auckland? You want Epolito's.

http://www.epolitospizzeria.co.nz/

I went there recently. It was excellent.

Che said...

this story makes me very hungry. I've always wanted to try an authentic NY pizza, I think I'm gonna hit up Sal's!

nsu said...

Have been fortunate enough to have eaten at Lombardi's once. If Sal's is anything close to Lombardi's, then my drool will flood the entire customs/commerce/fort st area next time I'm in the vicinity....

Anonymous said...

Forget shipping the water, you can ship the whole pie at www.nyflyingpizza.com

Peter McLennan said...

thanks for the comments, folks!

Unknown said...

Nice to see peeps gettin' wise to the magnificence that is Sal's pies.

Epolitos sounds good too but I ain't in Onehunga too often. For my money Sal's & Il Buco have the best pizza that's actually in town.

Mitch

Grapple said...

many people claim that true Neapolitan pizza can't be duplicated outside of Naples because of the high mineral content in the water there..(possibly due to the volcanic soil but I could be wrong about that one)...Anthony Bourdain once mentioned an Australian pizzeria that imports Italian water for this very reason . I wonder if New York Italians have heard this and tried to " borrow" the water hype for themselves.
I considered trying to find way to add minerals to Sydney water to get same mineral content as Naples water...but then thought it's way too much hard work when my Pizzas are already the bomb! ..interesting discussion though....will have to find out more about NY pizzas...never liked the look of 18" slices myself though.

Anonymous said...

The great thing about Sal's down on Commerce St is they're open most of the night on the weekend.... Pepperoni at 3am beats BK/McDs anytime. Rob

Pizza Christchurch said...

I bet this was great. Free pizzas? why wouldn't it. I missed it though.