Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Local DJ's story - The night I DJed for Ghostface Killah
It's not every day you get to DJ at an afterparty following a gig by one of your musical heroes, and then get to meet him. But this story has something more than that. Easily one of the coolest tales I've read in ages. Link.

"... At this point Ghost was standing in front of me and I was about to tell him that I enjoyed his show earlier, maybe grab a photo, and then go and have a piss, but he just started to have a conversation with me.

I can’t remember or don’t know how he worked out that I was DJing next but he began asking me if I had particular songs...

...At first I thought he was just requesting some songs that he wanted to hear me spin and that maybe he’d jump on the mic briefly before he jetted. But after asking me for about four or five songs it became apparent to me that he had more than just a brief appearance in mind.

He was naming too many songs for me to remember off the top of my head, so I pulled out my laptop and created a virtual crate for Ghost in my Serato Scratch Live. Ghost wasn’t so good with song titles, so he’d rap the joints that he wanted to hear to me and I’d have to work out what the joint was and see if I had it on my laptop..."

Respect to DJ Mouli.

No comments: