Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Takeaway Show does Tom Jones
I linked to these folks a while back, with their awesome clip of hanging out with Yeasayer, filming them playing a song round a piano at a party after their show in Paris. Their band coverage is always a lotta fun, but this takes the cake...

"No one ever expects this call. You’re going about your daily life and then it happens. The phone rings, you answer, and Vincent asks: “What do you think about helping on a Take-Away show with Tom Jones?” What do I think? I think it’s Tom whoa whoa whoaaaa mother fuckin’ Jones! Actually . . . I don’t know what to think. But we’re doing it...

... His manager is a band manager out of a Woody Allen movie – over zealous, over protective, and hilarious. Tom is still in his bedroom so his manager is talking to us and making sure we’re comfortable, but not too comfortable. I busy myself with the mics and don’t even look up as I ask the body next to me if they think Tom will be ready soon. The body answers yes, and Vincent says, “Umm, Teresa . . .” I look to Vincent, who looks to me, and then we both look to the mystery person I was talking to. Yeah, it’s Tom . . . Jones. Hi.

Watch it here. Tom Jones, with a guitarist, singing in his hotel room. Choice!

No comments: