Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Full Disclosure.
That's the name of a blog by a cool fella by the name of P-Money. He's the most successful hiphop producer in NZ, no contest. He's currently readying the first single off his new album, and is pondering how to release it...

"I haven't fully decided on my web plan yet. I want my tracks on the blogs so Im wondering out loud... "do I put the track up on my blog first? streaming or a zshare link? ..do I wait til its ingested and available for sale online and then link you all to that? or hold off til the video is done and debut it on youtube? hmmm..."

I ask myself this; If I want my music in the hands of as many people as possible then I should make it available for free, right? But if I want people to purchase my track mustn't I limit how freely available the track is?

Or could it be that the number of people who purchase a song are proportionate to how many have heard it? Maybe if I'm able to give away tens of thousands of copies I may end up selling a thousand?

Or should I just say fuck it and hope the single will drive people to my shows and promoters will in turn book me for higher fee's as a result of my boost in popularity? (this seems to be the most bankable theory at present).

Anyways, when I set out on my career in music I just wanted as many people as possible to hear my shit. And I still feel the same way! I want you to enjoy my music, I want radio and TV stations to support and play my stuff and I want the blogs to talk about my tracks and spread the word. I know that if all this happens then the money will come which will enable me to keep doing what I do!

The current proliferation of p2p networks, blogs and forums have provided the world with a method of music distribution that was unimaginable to me in 2001. (When I started out my biggest dream was to get a 12-inch single distributed internationally. That was such a difficult task which was only just fulfilled on my last album with the 2005 european release of '321' b/w 'Easy' on All City Music, UK). But now with the right song (and a good publicist?) you can be heard anywhere/everywhere. The music distribution networks of the internets are immediate, global and best of all FREE for all of us to exploit.

I'm a total fan of what's happening now. The fact that my laptop has become the best and most extensive record store imaginable and I can try everything for free is actually mind-blowingly awesome if you're of the generation that grew up buying music; ie. over 24(???)."
P-Money's blog here.

No comments: