Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Dread at the controls.
Further to my post on the fake Mikey Dread (see email below) at the Big day Out - I passed on the email from Mikey Dread to Wallace Chapman, Radio 95 BFM breakfast show host, and he's done a phone interview with the real Mikey Dread this afternoon, and will be playing it on BFM Breakfast tomorrow morning, (live audio streaming on their site or at Xtra) possibly between 9 and 10am. Tune in and get the lowdown from the man himself. later.

Greetings,

This is Mikey Dread/ Dread At The Controls www.mikeydread.com


I would like you and others over there to be notified that someone is out there using Mikey Dread- from /Channel One Sound UK claiming that he ,is me, Mikey Dread , Michael Campbell, Dread At The Controls the artist, producer, and radio pioneer and deliberately tricking innocent people, fans and promoters with my stolen identity as a international reggae artist.Please be advised Mikey Dread from Channel One sound is NOT me, the original, Dread At The Controls.Preview www.mikeydread.com


I have had emails from the UK, Australia and NZ from my fans who were mislead by the advertising of this FAKE MIKEY DREAD FROM LONDON, going around and using my name as if he was me, and cashing in on this identity theft.

I respect you guys and would appreciate that you make public the distinction that Michael Campbell, Mikey Dread- Dread At The Controls is not the same as Mikey Dread from Channel One Sound from the UK.This needs to be addressed today.A lot of times promoters knowingly or un-knowingly refer to my bio for him and make false claims using my accomplishments in reggae and this has become overbearing. Some people actually go to the event then email me that
they were tricked.

Firstly I live in the USA this guy is a rip off using my name illegally to get out there and continues to con people.

I have warned them already and they continue now its gone too far and must stop.

I am making sure you and your associates have been notified by me as it is illegal for anyone to steal another persons identity and is punishable by law.

I will handle that part myself as this has to stop this year and clear the air on all doubts and he will have to pay damages for his illicit behavior and intent to defraud me of all clients who booked him thinking that thy were really booking the original Mikey Dread.

Thanks

Mikey Dread

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work-might even be enough to make me listen to Wallace.....

Anonymous said...

Ridiculous. Mikey Dread (Channel One) has been playing as Mikey Dread for over 25 years. Anyone who has followed things in UK knew exactly who was coming. All the promoters had to do was search for Mikey Dread Channel One and they'd have got to the site http://www.rootsandculture.co.uk/ , where they make no claims at all to be related to DATC. Channel One Soundsystem have a long history for themselves, and a well deserved reputation. They don't need to ride on the back of DATC.

Smacked Face said...

I think the point is that the Big Day Out itself promoted Mikey 'Dread at the Controls' Dread as Mikey 'Channel One Sound' Dread. *They* be the pitiable fules...

Smacked Face said...

Or indeed the other way round. (Who da fule now?)

Anonymous said...

Well said dangerous, Channel One Sound UK have a long established history as one of the leading roots rock reggae sound systems.

The promotion by the Big Day Out and whom ever was responsible for posting the incorrect web link shows a complete lack of knowledge and respect for both artists, as does in my opinion the original post.

Peter McLennan said...

Dangerous and Conviction Roots, you both totally miss the point - the BDO promoted it as Mikey Dread DATC and made no attempt to correct this misinformation. That's misleading. And not everybody has an intimate working knowledge of the UK reggae scene (I'd call you a reggae nerd but you might take offence!).
Just as well the Stooges kicked ass.

Hans Versluys said...

Did anyone in the audience notice?

Anonymous said...

I have always thought it important for people to get their facts straight, or at least have done a minor bit of research before making comment, or have half a clue. Compare your comments to the postings on Niceup.

The BDO promoters made this ridiculous error in the first place and you perpetuate it.

As for causing offence....'Just as well the Stooges kicked arse', it was a rough session but your comments again show a lack of respect.... vocabulary and knowledge. A petty slur, and one which you wouldnt ave the bottle to make in person, shows your true charachter really.

Peter McLennan said...

Conviction roots, thanks for sharing your knowledge. This thread is now closed.