Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Is that a fact?
Just discovered Fact magazine, fulla useful stuff like Top Ten Records from Jazzie B (Soul II Soul) snip...
“I started collecting records as a 12-year-old. I’ve still got a few thousand records stashed away at my mum’s place. All my brothers were DJs and soundmen. As a result, my collection stretches right back to the early-‘70s. I had to move everything a few years back into my current house, and I said then, right ‘that’s it, this is where they’re staying’. I’ve got about 15,000 records here, and then huge, huge crates of CDs over in Antigua. My whole family are into vinyl, into collecting.

I guess the most valuable one would be a promo copy of the Jones Girls’ ‘Would You Be There’ on Paramount. Apparently, there were only 500-copies of this pressing made. I’ve been offered £7,000 for it from Japanese collectors. Funnily enough, it’s the only record in my collection that I don’t play!”

Here's a few more ten best..
10 BEST LIBRARY MUSIC Johnny Trunk hits us with his second collectors chart, this time plumbing the murky depths of T.V and Radio ballast..
10 BEST JAMAICAN SKA 45s Gaz Mayall selects ten of his favourite authentic Jamaican ska sevens...
20 BEST MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS Let Johnny Trunk be your guide to soundtracks so wonderful you could happily die to them...
20 BEST ITALO-DISCO RECORDS Fabio Carnel suggests 20 Italo-disco workouts to make you 'shack'...
20 BEST BRAZILIAN RECORDS Joe davis reveals 20 of his most treasured Brazilian beauties..
20 BEST FUNK SEVEN-INCHES Gerald ‘The Jazzman’ picks 20 of the very best and god-darn funkiest 45s ever created...
20 BEST HIP-HOP ALBUMS Peter Shapiro proudly unveils hip-hop 'golden' platters...
all linked here...


Two hits from Coolfer...
• How to convert your vinyl LPs to digital files. (Chicago Tribune)

• Dumbest line written by a journalist this year: "Downloading music over the Web is no longer illegal if you buy it," compliments of the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

More stupidity from music industry... (via Boingboing)
RIAA targets mashups
MashupTown, a site that hosts and distributes mashups (two or more songs ingeniously mixed together to make a third) has taken down all of its files after complaints from the RIAA to its hosting partner.
Mashups are a really dumb target for the RIAA. There's just no universe in which someone who downloads a mashup of Prince's 1999 and the Benny Goodman orchestra performing "In the Mood" thinks, Well, now I've heard that, I have no need to buy the CDs those songs originated on.
In other words, if the RIAA genuinely only goes after its customers because it wants to keep from losing sales, attacking mashups won't and can't accomplish that. This action amounts to the RIAA saying, "This art is illegal because it displeases us."
Link

1 comment:

Scholar said...

Nice commentary on the RIAA---they are getting completely ridiculous at this point...