Monday, February 14, 2005



PLAY BY PLAY
Coolfer is blogging the Grammys live, check it.

"Record Revival" examines how DJ culture and vinyl afficianados have kept alive the record format. Stores have expanded vinyl sections, and bands that a few years ago shunned vinyl are releasing LPs to go along with their CDs.

"CDs far and away rake in the lion's share of sales, but vinyl records have a dedicated following that have kept sales steady, said Michael Gartenberg, vice president of Jupiter Research. In 2003, 746 million CDs were shipped, compared with 1.5 million LP/EPs. At the half-year mark in 2004, 329 million CDs were shipped compared with 700,000 LP/EPs, indicating the vinyl format is holding firm as CD sales could be experiencing declines, said RIAA spokesman Jonathan Lamy. 'Vinyl aficionados never went away,' Gartenberg said." Via Coolfer

From funkdigital... "I did some dumpster diving yesterday. The Mecca is good for that. Location was E. 7th Street between 1st and 2nd Avenues. I took a lunch break to head up to the E. Village heading over to Turntable Lab. Got some hotness but had to put that Pete Rock extras down. They wanted $20 buck for it on vinyl, of course, so I had to be like "that's awight, son."
Anyway, coming back down 7th I eyed this white chick on top of a dumpster like she ws playing king of the hill. She's riffling through vinyl records. Aww shit. It's on now. The $1 used record shop that was there went out of business. So on that street me and her are going through it. Not alot of much. I told her to pass me any joint with black faces. She did. I got Harry Belafonte w/ Miriam Makeeba, Stevie Wonder, Kool & The Gang and a few others. Well worth the dirt I got on my coat.
image above courtesy of Satan's Laundromat

3 comments:

Simon said...

vinyl sales strong!! where on earth did they get that from.

Love the way you hunt this stuff our Peter.....

Simon said...

whoops..I mean 'hunt this stuff"out"'

Peter McLennan said...

aww, but 'our Peter' made you sound all Coro St for a minute there, Simon!