Monday, November 03, 2003

Raw power
Iggy Pop was on C4 last night - they were screening a live concert of Iggy Pop and his band, live in Belgium, apparently to coincide with his new album, Skullring. When the credits rolled, I discovered it was four years old (1999), but man, was it good. He rocked thru Search and Destroy, I Wanna Be Your Dog and a few other Stooges numbers, and it just made me wanna see it for myself. His band were a bunch of long haired metal poseurs, cept for the drummer who pounded the bejesus out of his kit like his life depended on it. Which is exactly how it should be.
Iggy reformed the original Stooges lineup earlier this year for a few select show in the US - they played their hometown, Detroit back in August - check this review.
Arthur magazine did a big feature on the return of the Stooges - you can download a pdf of it, if you feel so inclined.
They're playing at All Tomorrow's Parties in LA in a few weeks; its on the Queen Mary in Long Beach. It's a UK/US music festival thats guest- curated. This year, LA's is curated by Matt Groening (Simpsons/Futurama creator). If I win Lotto, I'm going.

No comments: