"Ahead of the release of a Sherwood At The Controls Volume 1: 1979 – 1984 – collection of early tracks he produced or remixed – on 6 April, producer and DJ Adrian Sherwood has turned dub detective for Q and in a guest column investigates the story behind the story behind Bob Marley’s (or is it?) 1977 12-inch single Punky Reggae Party and the time when artists from two musical cultures came together."
Guest Column – The Punky Reggae Party: A Personal View by Adrian Sherwood
Compilation of early tracks produced or remixed by the legendary Adrian Sherwood; a pioneering blend of post-punk, mutant disco, dub, funk and electro.
Includes 6 tracks that have never been reissued in any format, and 2 completely unreleased tracks from the On-U vaults.
Adrian Sherwood is a name most commonly associated with dub reggae, particularly his own leftfield version of the sound that he developed over the 80s and 90s, having been mentored by the likes of Prince Far I, Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry and Dennis Bovell, This compilation seeks to highlight another side of the story: in his capacity as a DJ and live sound engineer Sherwood also connected with the likes of The Clash, Public Image Limited and The Pop Group, and went on to work with a wide variety of artists including Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails, Primal Scream and Blur. The tracks on this album show how Sherwood blended a dubwise approach to versioning tracks with a desire to experiment in the studio and push musical boundaries.
First release in an extensive On-U Sound reissue campaign that will be coming out over the next few years.
01. Medium Medium – Hungry, So Angry (1981)
02. Maximum Joy – Let It Take You There (1982)
03. Nadjma – Some Day My Caliph Will Come (1984)
04. Mark Stewart + The Maffia – Learning To Cope With Cowardice (flexi version) (1983)
05. The Fall – Middle Mass (1981)
06. Gardening By Moonlight – Strange Clues (1983)
07. Shriekback – Mistah Linn He Dead (1984)
08. Voice Of Authority ft. Congo Ashanti Roy – Running (Feeling Wild) (1984)
09. The Slits – Man Next Door (1979)
10. Annie Anxiety (aka Little Annie) – Third Gear Kills (1984)
11. Prince Far I – Nuclear Weapon (1983)
12. Singers & Players – Reaching The Bad Man (1981)
13. African Head Charge – In A Trap (1982)
14. Vivien Goldman – Private Armies Dub (1981)