Saturday, March 14, 2015

Ad-Rock on life after the Beastie Boys

AdRock. Photo: Rolling Stone
 
Following the passing of Adam "MCA" Yauch in 2012, Ad-Rock says he's working on a range of projects, doing some movie soundtracks, playing bass in a friend's band, partnered with his local sandwich shop to collab on a sandwich with his favourite sides, and writing a memoir with Mike D about the Beasties, described as more of an oral history, in the style of Grand Royal, the very cool magazine the Beastie Boys published in the early 90s.

"... Beastie Boys have sold more than 40 million albums worldwide. But being in one of the most successful hip-hop groups of all time doesn't make leaving a job after nearly 30 years any easier. 

 Horovitz would like to score more films, but admits that "I hope that they'll be paying jobs in the future. That would be nice." Currently, he says, "it's more friends that say, 'Can you do this?'

"It’s a big challenge," adds Horovitz in a tone more resigned than sad. "It's like, 'What do you do with your life when your former life is no more?' I have to figure it out. I don't know if I ever will. 

" It's been fun to just play bass in a band and play live, but be in the background. I'm used to having other people [plan stuff] for me. I don't plan anything, so at some point, maybe I have to start doing that."

full article: Life after the Beastie Boys (Rolling Stone)

No comments: