Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Kiiw rock chicks


Hot on the heels of the launch of Chris Bourke's book Blue Smoke (on NZ popular music from the end of world war one to 1964), is a book that focuses on local female musicians, called Kiwi Rock Chicks, Pop Stars and Trailblazers.

From the Otago Daily Times interview with author Ian Chapman...

"Spanning 50 years, Kiwi Rock Chicks, Pop Stars & Trailblazers features a broad range of artists, including Gin Wigmore, Alannah Currie, Sharon O'Neill, Margaret Urlich, Bic and Boh Runga, Hollie Smith, Anika Moa, The Yandall Sisters, [Coco Solid, Ladi6, Minuit,] Moana Maniapoto, Beaver and punk singer Zero, all of whom provide first-hand insights on everything from industry frustrations and highlights to songwriting methodologies. Each chapter is completed by a discography and awards list.

"They are a very diverse lot,"  Chapman says. "When the book was first mooted, I was going to have a lot more authorship of it," Chapman explains.

"I would have been writing about the women and I would have had far less direct input.
When I received all this enthusiasm from the women I had approached, I thought the focus should change, making it less of me and more about them writing about their own experiences.
"I'm a music academic but, first and foremost, I'm a fan..."

No comments: