Saturday, February 21, 2009

My new favourite blog.
Dust and Grooves, all about crate digging. Excerpt...

Q: tell me a crazy story over a certain record

A: One of my most prized possessions is a 45 I got about eight years ago from
a dear old friend back home in Detroit. She used to scour flea markets for a certain kind of ceramic thing whose details escape me, and she woke me up in Brooklyn with a phone call one Saturday morning to say she was making her rounds and had come upon a record dealer she'd never seen before with a few boxes of 45s; did I want her to go through them over the phone? Sure, I said, shaking the sleep out of my head and of course expecting the worst. Not surprisingly she rattled off a bunch of easy Motown artists and titles and a lot of real garbage.

I was starting to doze off when the surprise finally came: "Little Jimmy Scott on Giant." I asked her the title. "It Rained 40 Days and Nights." Yeah, grab that one for me, please. I paid her 5 bucks for it the next time I saw her. It's a great sixties soul record I'd been after for a while.

The postscript to this story is crushingly horrible, and the reason I treasure this record so much: A couple years later, my wonderful friend was murdered by her husband..."

No comments: