Wednesday, July 13, 2016
Crate digging tips from Red Greg
Mix from Red Greg, with a cool interview (hat tip to Chris Cox).... check his digging tips...
Do you have any particular digging tips you'd like to share with us?
1. Never walk past a place that sells records.
2. If you discover something good, buy all the cheap copies you can. Good records only increase in value, and they can be very handy for trades.
3. Don't get obsessed with expensive or in-demand records. Not only is everyone else chasing them but there are plenty of better records out there for a fraction of the price.
4. Take risks. If something is telling you to buy a record, don't hesitate. You can always sell it.
5. Never judge a record by its cover.
6. Be patient and keep quiet. Posting a record you want on social media or in a record sales group with like minded people can push up Discogs wants from 20 to 200 in a few days. You may as well put yourself at the back of the queue.
7. Make a mental note of musicians, producers, labels you like.
8. Have a quick flick through other genres of music when out digging. Records always get misplaced, usually by other diggers on purpose because they've run low on cash.
9. Build up trust with dealers and they will look after you.
10. Most of all, just buy records you love, especially if digging to DJ. Have your own sound, there are enough records out there.
Related: Peanutbutter Wolf talks about crate digging