From NZ Herald: Funding boost gives newcomers a start: excerpt... "There was a perception in the old days that the lists [of recipients] were dominated by the same old names," said NZOA's New Zealand music manager Brendan Smyth. "So what we tried to do with that cap was to open up opportunities for artists to come through."
"It's no longer only about commercial radio, it's more about the range of broadcast media ... the whole motivation behind that change was to increase diversity."
- 1216 applications for funding
- Funding approved for 324 projects
- $1.51m for 151 recording and video grants
- $1.038m for 173 video-only grants
- Of those 324 projects, 172 deemed mainstream (53 per cent) and 152 alternative
- 40 per cent of recipients are new artists
NZOA are also doing a more detailed broadcast outcomes and impacts report, due out in mid to late August.