Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Meanwhile, in Hackney...

The Hackney Colliery Band drop their debut on Wahwah45s on July 4. Its big bold and brassy. Their covers of No Diggity and Africa (yes, that godawful Toto song) are wicked. Here's a free preview off the album...




"Formed in 2008 out of a desire to play music that appealed to the feet as much as to the ears, the Hackney Colliery Band (HCB) take influences including the Youngblood Brass Band and Hypnotic Brass Ensemble and add their uniquely East London twist to the growing brass-band phenomenon."

2 comments:

Alan said...

not sure what i think of this. is irony a new musical movement? it puts me in mind of silly ukelele bands, which put me in mind of lame samba drum groups, which puts me in mind of lame whitebread gospel choirs.
bah humbug I say.
I think I need another coffee.

Adam said...

I don't think so Alan, but a sense of humour in music shouldn't be looked at negatively - in my opinion anyway. The guys write amazing original music but the covers are well executed and pretty exciting live. Give it a chance, go on... after your coffee maybe.