Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Woop woop! It's the sound of the police


Cut Chemist has a life-size R2D2 in his home, and lots of autographed photos of his heroes, including Bob Dylan. He constructed his latest album, a mix cd called Sound of the Police with just one turntable. Read this cool interview from LA Weekly here.  Excerpt below...

"... It makes me happy that everybody appreciates DJs enough to wanna be one. Absolutely, that makes me happy. What doesn't make me happy is my perception that people seem to appreciate specific DJs less or are willing to support DJs less because they are themselves one.

Like, "Oh, I don't need to go check him out, or maybe I don't need to hire him because I hired this person to be the DJ." Or, "I can do it: I'm a DJ." So, the more DJs there are, the less demand there is. That's just basic supply and demand: The jobs have become less for me now that there are more DJs.

I don't think that's an accident, and it's harder for me to get people to listen to what my niche is because it's very different from what all these other DJs have been doing. You know, I'm not a Top 40 DJ. I consider myself more like a performance artist, and in an age when there are so many DJs, it's harder to recognize a DJ as a performance artist.

...  I'm not just behind two decks, but actually making music with different things, performing with different elements, you know, something hopefully captivating."

See sidebar: Four crucial records at the core of the Sound of the Police album.

Free sample of the album below, at Bandcamp. Bonus - go to Cut Chemist's website, and watch the video called Cut Chemist Goes Digging. Niceness. Might have to post it too.

<a href="http://cutchemist.bandcamp.com/track/adidas-to-addis">Adidas to Addis by Cut Chemist</a>

No comments: