Monday, December 21, 2009

Bring the Paine
My fellow BaseFM DJ Dan Paine posted this list on FB of his favourite albums of the noughties.

D'Angelo - Voodoo (2000)...
Radiohead - In Rainbows (2007)...
Madvillain - Madvillainy (2004)...
Slum Village - Fantastic Vol.2 (2000)...
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones (2006)...
Outkast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (2003)...
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (2002)...
Quasimoto - The Unseen (2000)......
Common - Like Water for Chocolate (2000)...
Cinematic Orchestra - Everyday (2002)



Dan's list confirms something I've been thinking (and noticed in other end-of-decade lists as well) - all the good albums of the past decade came out in 2000-2005.... I know that's subjective, but I think the first half of the decade was stronger than second half. And now we're all sitting round anticipating a new Sade album, who thought we'd end the decade thinking that?
Dan responded: "... I think that artists now think, make a couple tracks, mp3 it, post it, get as many hits and downloads as poss, fame. Albums take a lot of work, I think it is symptomatic of the digital age."




And as for my bad pun in the title... what's with promoters putting on separate gigs next month by Method Man and Dilated Peoples in Auckland ON THE SAME NIGHT?

1 comment:

Felix said...

"...all the good albums of the past decade came out in 2000-2005.... I know that's subjective, but I think the first half of the decade was stronger than second half."

I think that's partly a matter of perspective.

You often have to spend a few years with an record before you know if it's truly one of the greats or just good.

That's what I find, anyhow. My all time favourites are always at least a few years old - simply because everything else is still in the inbox, even though it might be my favourite record today.