Monday, June 22, 2009

More Bill Withers
Recent interview with the legendary soul singer from the LA Times.

So you have no interest in a comeback?

You know, this whole music thing for me was something that came into my life after I was formed socially. So it was fun, it served its purpose, I still like it, but it's not my main focus. In fact, it hasn't been for a long time. There are other requirements.

You're somebody's father, you're somebody's husband, you're somebody's friend. And for me, it was important that I not neglect those other requirements just to satisfy some personal need that I might have for approval or attention from people that I don't even know.

When "Ain't No Sunshine" was a huge hit back in 1971, my father and I had a competition going about who could count the number of times you sing "I know" during the bridge. Once and for all, how many was it?

We'll have to take the word of someone who counted it. And the most consistent number that has come up is 26.

No comments: