Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Quote of the week
"You mean am I happy with a doctor putting his finger up my arse?"

Neil Finn, talking about his experience as a hospital orderly (prior to becoming a rocker/millionaire), and how that applies to touring Oz with aging art-rockers Spilt Enz. Context below...

"... I think what it did for me in actual literal terms, working as an orderly, was that it cured me of any fear of hospitals. So when anyone around me is sick, I'm actually a very good nurse. [Wife] Sharon is good with needles; I'm good with vomit."

With the impending Australian tour, it's probably appropriate, then, to ask if he is as comfortable with the necessary medical demands on men of his age? "You mean am I happy with a doctor putting his finger up my arse?" he laughs.

"There are quite a lot of, maybe humiliations is a little strong, moments where a man has to confront himself in a medical sense. In terms of my general level of anxieties, my 30s were far worse than my 40s. I feel now a lot more at ease with myself." Link.

Oh, and what do you reckon will happen if the power goes out during the 2011 Rugby World Cup? Not impossible, given that upgrades to the power supply aren't due for completion til 2012. Picture it; The host nations' team, the All Blacks, have just competed their haka, here comes the kick-off and WHOOOMP! Eden Park is plunged into darkness, and this is being beamed live into tv sets around the planet. All it takes is a strong wind and ONE LONE CABLE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

>power goes out during the 2011 Rugby World Cup?


Tell me where the cable is & i'll do it!
what a fantastic act of anti-rugby activism that would be!

hmmmmm...