Thursday, May 18, 2006

Here comes the shadow
Heard yesterday that DJ Shadow was coming our way, and today Pitchfork serves up his tour dates, including...
28 07 - Auckland, New Zealand - St. James
29 07 - Wellington, New Zealand - Townhall

snip...

"... The album doesn't have a release date or tracklist yet, but we do know that it will feature guest spots from Q-Tip, David Banner, Keak Da Sneak, and Turf Talk (the latter pair appear on the single "3 Freaks"). We also know a little bit about what the album's going to sound like, thanks to Shadow's post yesterday:

"There's been a lot of speculation as to the vibe of the new album. Some have predicted that the whole album is in the hyphy vein like "3 Freaks". To those people I say: RELAX YOUR BACK, YOU'VE ONLY HEARD ONE SONG. The album is very diverse, and reflects the fact that I don't fit comfortably in any one genre. My critics see that as a problem, but I don't...it's simply the way things are. I've never really fit into any one clique. That's why the album is called The Outsider. "In some ways it's a risky record. It's going to turn some people off. And I think I'll lose some fans. On the other hand, I know I'll gain some new ones. That's a fair trade in my mind. Besides I can't see playing it safe at this point in my life.

"There's songs with samples and songs with no samples. There's very dark stuff and very light stuff. Fast and slow. Simple and complicated. And there's songs on this album that I think blow away almost anything else I've ever done, so...we'll see. I think song for song it's the best album I've ever made. One thing's for sure...it's going to make it very difficult for people to imitate my sound."

No comments: