Friday, February 04, 2005

CAN YOU PLAY SOMETHING I CAN DANCE TO?
DJs hate requests. If you think that you know better than the DJ what the people in the club want to hear, you are wrong/stupid/drunk/all of the above. Any DJs out there got some stories? Please leave em in the comments.
Heres some goodies from Soulstrut forums, more over here...

"Are you going to play any hip hop?" (As hip hop is playing... they just don't know the tune. This usually happens when i'm playing Jurassic 5 for some odd reason).

Do you have anything thats like...not old?

"You're not even a real DJ. The DJ last week* was SO much better than you."*That was me.

At this past New Year's desi party, a fifty-something Indian guy walked in, heard the bollywood hits I was playing, and immediately told me "Play some Punjabi." I told him I would, and soon played Sukhbir & Daler Mehndi - that's Punjabi bhangra that pretty much never fails with the the older folks.
He and his friends dug it, going nuts on the dancefloor, so I got out a real bhangra oldschool classic (about being drunk) from probably the late 70s or 80s. Immediately the dancefloor stopped to commence ice grilling me. The guy came back with two other of his cronies, looking like they'd just eaten 15 sour lemons.
"That's TOO Punjabi."


The New Zealand Dance Chart - JANUARY 05
1. Chemical Brothers - Galvanize (Virgin)
2. Soulwax - E Talking (BMG)
3. Soul Central - Strings of Life (Defected)
4. Roni Size - No More (Full Cycle)
5. Mylo - Destroy Rock & Roll (Breastfed)
6. Deep Dish - Flashdance (Positiva)
7. Dillinja -Thugged Out Bitch (Valve)
8. Slam - This World (Soma)
9. Chab - Closer to Me (Saw)
10. Evil Nine - Crooked (Marine Parade)

The Charge New Zealand dance chart is compiled from 12” sales through independent record stores, radio station play on participating dance-music stations and club play from a broad cross-section of DJ’s around the country. A weekly radio broadcast featuring the official top 10 is played weekly on the following NZ radio stations:

National: George 96.8 (Radio broadcast in Auckland, Hamilton, Tauranga, Ohakune, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin & Queenstown, plus internet stream and Sky Digital)

Local: Auckland, Up 107.3 (FM & internet stream), Julia 107.5 (FM & internet stream), Fleet 88.3 (FM), Twisted 107.7 (FM & internet stream) - Wellington, Firm 107 (FM & Internet stream), Munt 88.5 (FM) - Christchurch, Pulzar 88.7 (FM & internet stream), Mofo 107.4 (FM) - Tauranga, Blowhole 97.4 (FM) - New Pymouth, The Most 92.3 (FM) - Palmerston North, Control 99.4 (FM) - Nelson/Blenheim/Motueka, Fresh 95.4 (FM) - Dunedin, Radio One 91.0 (FM & Internet stream) - Queenstown, The Studio 96.8 (FM), -Invercargill, Aural 107.3 (FM) Via Ms Behaviour



from The Internet Museum of Flexi / Cardboard / Oddity Records...
"Once bound by cereal boxes, held in the pages of a magazine, wrapped up in envelopes sent through our postal system or given away casually with some product, these bits of paper and plastic yearned to be set free to fulfill their destiny as... PLAYABLE RECORDS
Come and take an aural and visual journey through a partial history of these strange but true recorded anomolies." via BoingBoing


Valentines day cards a la Simpsons... remember the episode where Lisa gives Ralph a valentine that says I choo choo choose you, with a pic of a train? Well, here it is, in downloadable form. Hot Dang. Don't say I aint looking out for your best interests, okay?

7 comments:

Simon said...

Loads more comments on requests on the two best house DJ forums around, Bill "Last Night a DJ saved my Life" Brewsters www.djhistory.com, and Terry Farley's www.faithfanzine.com...I jjust find find the exeact links but the forums and interviews on both are worth a trawl anyway..especially Bills

Myk said...

I love to ask for requests, just to test the water. Usually only if he or she is playing some type of groove I recognise. Which usually isn't dance music. Unless it's early 90's Galliano/Brand New Heavies or stuff from that era. Usually hardly ever happens considering the musical phase which i'm going through. I dunno but ever since I've been in England I'm getting so much more into stuff I used to love years ago. At the moment its My Bloody Valentine: Loveless, Jesus & Mary Chain, Blondie, Television (what a fucking amazing band), Gang of Four, the cure, the fall and the staple quintet of my life that is : Nick Cave, The Clash, New Order, Iggy and Black Sabbath. And y'know what Peter. It all rocks.

Simon said...

http://www.faithfanzine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4222 is the faith link

http://www.djhistorymix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2880&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 is the DJH link

Anonymous said...

On the radio two weeks ago:

Answer phone:

Q: Do you do requests

A: Not really....

Q: Can I come up to the station and look through your Cds

A: they're mostly vinyl and no

Q: Can you play some Blondie for my nephew then



Few months back....

Answer phone

Q: can you listen to this tape and tell me what it is

A: ok

listen to 30 secs of unintelligible gabba

Q: Have got that?

A: No

Q: have you got anything like that

A: no (trying to be polite)

Q: That sort of stuff is huge in Holland, why are you so far behind

I then take pleasure in losing it completely.

Anonymous said...

Did a 60th (!!!!) recently but only because the guy's son, who booked me, said he wanted a menu of lots of Philly soul, early eighties funk and nothing too obvious. Plus the pay was phenomenal. My bag was appropriately stocked with a couple of never fail hit type things just in case.

I turned up to find a band called Tongue in Groove doing Kenny Rogers, Shania Twain and the Grease medley with a bunch of aging lawyers swirling around. Basically I was fucked and I completely cleared the place in 30 minutes. The never fail hits were a complete mystery to 99% of the crowd. The guy who hired me though loved it, so after clearing the place I got to play an hour of stuff I wanted to play to half a dozen appreciative dancers....and pocket over a grand

Peter McLennan said...

previous two comments from Simon via the djhistorymix.com link he posted, hope he doesn't mind!

Simon said...

course not Peter..