Tuesday, June 29, 2004



I am a vinyl addict.
From the crate diggers forum on DJ Norman Jay's website...

"Dear Norman and the crate diggers gang:HOW MANY RECORDS DO YOU OWN?
This may be a very personal question so apologies if I cause offence. Its just that Norman was buying records since 1967 when he was 10, and all you guys seem to come out with a zillion and one amazing tunes! It makes my 2000 or so records seem very inadequate!
You guys must have a separate house to store that vinyl!

Dayo: "When the Budget is tight and i promise my Wife that i will cut down on the Record buying, i then would often walk into Reckless and see some tunes i have been after for a while.. I then would buy them and when i get home i throw them in through the Guest room window. One day after doing this again, and sneaking to the Guest Room to pick up my ‘stash’ which would then be secretly transferred to the ‘vaults’, guess who i saw waiting in the Guest Room for me? (LOL!!!!!). Yep! You guessed it, it was my darling Wife. She later told me, that on one occasion the thud of the records landing was so loud that, she had planned to lie in wait for me the next time...hahahahahahaha

Norman responds...
"Listen up CS - having 2000 or so records is NOTHING to feel ashamed of nor to be sniffed at. So long as it's full of stuff you yourself love. The fact is personally speaking, I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW HOW MANY RECORDS I'VEGOT!!! Then I would be able to HONESTLY answer you (and countless others) who have asked me this same question forever and a day HA! HA!. But as you can imagine, I'd walk up Mount Everest BACKWARDS!!! before i would embark on the nigh on impossible (and probably thankless) task of counting 'em...."

At last count I have about 1200 records and 400 CDs. Not many, if any. It's only like, 10 crates. And I regularly get rid of stuff I don't listen to, and there are worse addictions, and...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

and how many records/cds do you own, dear reader?
Peter

fishboy said...

I currently only have about half of my cd collection here in OZ, about 200-250, I'll pick up the rest when I'm back in Chch in october. As for vinyl... I've no idea really, probably around 400-500.

Though I've not bought a new record for about 10 years (no turntable) I still loooove records, just something about them that is aesthetically far more appealing than cds. I'm just a bit too lazy and get annoyed at having to flip the damn things over all the time. But have mine, my brother's and my deceased best friends' collections. Well, they mostly got lent to Eroica when I left NZ, but they're still mine in spirit.

As an aside - I can't get my head around the whole 'desert island discs' thing. There is *absolutely* no way I could pick just 5 albums to listen to forever.