Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Funky good time
James Brown is playing live in Auckland, one night only, March 31!!! Tickets go on sale Monday Feb 23. So you're thinking, he's an old cat now, will he still be any good?
Heres a review from Public Enemy's Chuck D, who caught a show in Spetember last year...

"Indeed, I made sure I caught the Godfather of Soul, Mr. James Brown, live and in concert last month. The plan was for myself and KYLE JASON to head east on Long Island on Friday, August 29th, to catch his show. Earlier in the week DJ Johnny Juice and I tripped out to Indianapolis to do an ad for Klipsch audio speakers, and my plans were to head back east from Chicago to catch it.

Coming outta Chicago that Friday my flight was delayed, thus I arrived at LaGuardia late. Kyle made sure he left with Bones, a bass player/journalist buddy of ours. I prepared myself to hear that I missed the show of the decade and, true to form, Kyle came back and was speechless. One and a half hours of pure dynamite stick. He told me that the same James we had seen on our video tapes from the past 20 years, sped up super medley “Living In America,” was not the same James he’d just witnessed in action. He had just seen Jaaaaaaames in all his glory. Complete from the MC DANNY RAY intro at the top. He told me that I had to see it, and the band was the actual funked timed thang that the records bore, even more. Damn! I missed it.

Immediately we went to the web, www.funky-stuff.com, and peeped a concert schedule. On that great site it showed that he was gonna be at Chastain Park in the ATL that Sunday. Whoa! But first I had to get up north of the border to Toronto to keynote at their urban music conference, which I spent my day doin. Thus jetting to ATL on Sunday was a later transition whereas I just got to the venue in the nick of time. Running in at 9:15pm the lights had just gone down for DANNY RAY to intro the hardest working man still in show business.

When Mr. Brown took the stage the ATL immediately roared for their Georgia son. The very first cut was “Make It Funky” signifying that James and the Soul Generals were gonna pull some joints out the bag. Highlights included JB doing two microphone stand tricks that left the crowd stunned as if MIKE JORDAN threw it. Bursts of dance energy came at the crowd and wowed them. At 70 he moved, grooved, and cold sweated us to death. He had a dance spotlight for a lady he’d known ever since she was a young girl. Dressed in high white boots and hot pants they proceeded to rip the same cut. SOUL POWER, PAYBACK and even a funked up LIVING IN AMERICA banged the crowd. This was JAMES BROWN in his 70s doing it like he did it in the 1970s. No doubt. The double drummers even played high speed funk thru the finale of SEX MACHINE when the venue cut the power, as it’s known to do. The point is that it was more turbo energy than cats twice his age using multimedia crutches."

Convinced?

No comments: